Saturday, November 9, 2013

Backpacking Survival Part 1

I always have my dogs follow me when I go for a walk. My tomcat usually walks with us too. I will be making a few backpacking trips in 
November and December. My dog Kincade who is the leader of my dogs and my little dog Maggie will be right along my side. (I keep dog and cat day packs in my emergency bags.) We will only do a maximum of 3 miles the first time to train them to walk with me in an emergency situation. Kincade is a very intelligent and highly trained for my protection. Maggie is a small dog and doesn't mind well but will accompany me on at least one trip before the end of this year. 
A day pack shouldn't weigh over 45 pounds. You only need to pack what you will need for 24 to 48 hours. 
My first practice backpacking will only be a 3 mile hike to see how well my dogs will do. The rest of them will be 5 miles or longer. Most backpackers will walk a minimum of 10 miles in one day. I have a lot of practicing to do before I can do that on a regular basis.
I will be organizing a 3 mile backpacking trip in the early part of December. Will have the day, time, and location posted on here by Wednesday of next week. Hope a few of you will be able to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment